by Jayme Hull
Are you a good listener? Are you willing to learn to be a good listener?
Developing and using your listening skills is very important in God’s plan and purpose for your life. How well we listen to others will impact our ministry to our family, the people at work, in the community and in our churches.
“Let the wise listen and add to their learning”
“Everyone should be quick to listen”
The most encouraging gift we can give while we are mentoring the next generation is the blessing of obedience as we listen to others. Mentoring can be defined as a mature Christian woman taking the time to sit, listen and talk with a sister in Christ. As the mentor spends time listening, God will reveal Bible verses to share, or a past life experience she has had with Jesus. The focus of a Mentor’s ministry is to draw others to a closer daily walk with the Lord and help others grow in their faith.
Let’s use a Scripture for our Life Application in Acts 8:26-40.
In this Scripture we find the Ethiopian eunuch is in an official chariot riding and reading the scroll of the Scriptures of Isaiah. The Holy Spirit instructs Philip to, “Go to the chariot and stay near it.” So Philip runs along side the chariot and hears the eunuch reading the Scriptures out loud. Philip asks, “Do you understand what you are reading?” The eunuch says no and invites Philip to teach and explain the Scriptures to him. In verse 35 we see the mentoring one on one teaching moment; “Then Philip began with the very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.” Immediately the eunuch wanted to be baptized and they stopped at a roadside water area and he was baptized.
Let’s dig into these verses looking through a Mentor’s lens as we observe the actions of Philip:
- V.26 & 29: The angel and the Spirit told Philip to, “GO.” Are you and I in the Word and growing in your relationship with the Lord so you can hear and discern His voice?
- V.29: Does the Lord have a chariot for you to run to? Who is the person in your life God needs you to mentor and witness to?
- V.27 & 30: First we read that he started out immediately and secondly we read, “he ran” to the need. Are you and I ready to OBEY immediately when the Lord calls us?
- V.35: Have you and I developed a walk with the Lord that is PREPARED to tell others the good news of Jesus Christ and how they too can have a personal relationship with Him?
- V.38: Are you and I willing to walk hand in hand, SHARE anywhere, any time, with others as they learn how to do life with the Lord Jesus Christ?
Now is the time to be in prayer with the Lord discussing these questions and seeking God’s answers. God calls all mature godly women to mentor the next generation. I realize as you are reading the Scripture listed above you may have another need on your heart that is only between you and God. Be encouraged. God knows your heart and your needs and He cares. No matter what your need may be I want to encourage you to hold on tightly to our God who is always Faithful and True. God loves you with an everlasting love and will carry you in his gentle and loving arms.
GO, OBEY, PREPARE and SHARE!
Jayme is a graduate of New York University with a B.A. in Speech Communication Education and Musical Theater. She married her high school sweetheart John and together they live in Nashville TN. Jayme and John have three incredible godly adult children, two beautiful daughter-in-laws that love the Lord and one granddaughter . She went to NYC to meet the Broadway Entertainment world but instead she met the Lord Jesus Christ as her personal Savior. From that moment on her life was changed forever. Her new ministry, Woman Face toFace, is a Christ centered, Bible based, non-denomination ministry to equip women of all ages and stages of life to learn how to help each other as a mentor or being mentored. Check out the website at http://www.jaymeh.com